GBAO livestock breeders to supply yak meet and cheeses to Dushanbe’s markets
DUSHANBE, July 19, 2013, Asia-Plus – Livestock breeders from the Murgab district of the Gorno-Badakhshan Autonomous Region (GBAO) are expected to supply yak meat and cheeses to Dushanbe’s markets.
According to the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA)’s press center, the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) has launched the technical assistance project that will support formation of groups of meat producers in the Murgab district.
The project has reportedly been developed in the framework of the FAO agrarian structures initiative for Europe and Central Asia.
In the Eastern Pamirs, the FAO project is being implemented under support of the Ministry of Agriculture of Tajikistan.
The Eastern Pamirs (Murgab district) occupy large deserted territories, which represent 26% of Tajikistan’s total area. Traditionally, a great deal of attention is paid to the livestock sector, particularly to yak-breeding.
Mobilization of farmers in the low-density Murgab is possible due to cooperation with the Aga Khan Foundations (AKF)’s Mountain Societies Development Support Programme (MSDSP), which has been successfully working in the area for already many years through agricultural organizations that cover more than 90 percent of farming units in Gorno Badakhshan.
The project will use world advanced experience of processing meat and milk under conditions of high mountains and the first consignment of products is expected to be supplied to Dushanbe’s markets in the fall.
-  Remittance flows from Russia to Tajikistan decline inconsiderably, says Tajik central bank head
-  Russian social network site partially blocked in Tajikistan?
-  Mobile banking reportedly introduced in Tajikistan
-  Current gold and currency reserves of Tajikistan estimated at 1.147 billion USD
-  ‘Mr. Sodiqov had contact with some negative people in Tajikistan,’ says Tajik FM
-  Tajik national air carrier chief fired straight after his news conference
-  Tajik government merges national air carrier and Dushanbe airport
-  Many Tajiks unable to access popular Russian social-media site
-  Tajik president receives federal minister for water and power of Pakistan
-  Asian Express Airlines chief replaced
Earlier in the column
Articles by theme
Photo by topic
Photo coverage is not