GBAO livestock breeders to supply yak meet and cheeses to Dushanbe’s markets
DUSHANBE, July 19, 2013, Asia-Plus – Livestock breeders from the Murgab district of the Gorno-Badakhshan Autonomous Region (GBAO) are expected to supply yak meat and cheeses to Dushanbe’s markets.
According to the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA)’s press center, the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) has launched the technical assistance project that will support formation of groups of meat producers in the Murgab district.
The project has reportedly been developed in the framework of the FAO agrarian structures initiative for Europe and Central Asia.
In the Eastern Pamirs, the FAO project is being implemented under support of the Ministry of Agriculture of Tajikistan.
The Eastern Pamirs (Murgab district) occupy large deserted territories, which represent 26% of Tajikistan’s total area. Traditionally, a great deal of attention is paid to the livestock sector, particularly to yak-breeding.
Mobilization of farmers in the low-density Murgab is possible due to cooperation with the Aga Khan Foundations (AKF)’s Mountain Societies Development Support Programme (MSDSP), which has been successfully working in the area for already many years through agricultural organizations that cover more than 90 percent of farming units in Gorno Badakhshan.
The project will use world advanced experience of processing meat and milk under conditions of high mountains and the first consignment of products is expected to be supplied to Dushanbe’s markets in the fall.
-  CCER expected to start preparations for 2015 parliamentary elections in H2 2014
-  Tajik chief prosecutor’s office launches investigation into prison inmate’s death
-  International community has spent €45 mln for strengthening security on the Tajik-Afghan border
-  Chronicle: Highlights of February, 2014
-  Russia interested in stable and strong Ukraine, says Russian ambassador to Tajikistan
-  Oynihol Bobonazarova visits a number of U.S. cities to engage with the American people through IVLP
-  Tajik capital makes preparations for Navrouz celebrations
-  Tajikistan ranked the last among CA nations in terms of entrepreneurship and opportunity
-  CSTO Military Committee discusses establishment of common air-defense and anti-missile system
-  Unknown persons reportedly attempt to disrupt IRP leader’s meeting with party activists in Rumi
Earlier in the column
Articles by theme
Photo by topic
Photo coverage is not